Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Day Call



Mom: We had 45 minutes to talk, with Elder Hicks timing us on his cell phone. He insisted we follow the rules. We sat in the office around the speaker phone so we could all hear him. As Elder Hicks told us of his transfer, his Christmas plans, and as Caleb told Elder Hicks of their expecting a new nephew there was much joy and excitement. But as the time drew near to close, I started to silently cry. The others left the room for a couple of minutes so that I had a few private minutes to talk to him, to tell him of my love, and of how happy I am for him. Then the others came back to the office to hear Elder Hicks bear his testimony of our Savior, in Spanish. The perfect Missionary Christmas Call.

Entry from Mom's letter after Christmas:

Dearest Son,

Wow. We did it. I do need to apologize right up front for "crying" on the phone. I had tried to gear myself up for it for the few days before, and really didn't think I would, but sometimes Mom's are ...just....Mom's. I did love just hearing the sound of your voice. You already sounded so grown up, and maybe that is why I cried just a bit. Christmas and New Years were pretty quiet around here. Just so different for all of us, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment