Tuesday, November 9, 2010

IT'S STARTING TO FEEL LIKE THE HOLIDAY SEASON

Hello Family,
Thanks for your letters and your support. It's good to hear from all of you.

There are 4 of us in the apartment. Me and Elder Yates. And then Elder Guinto (my Newark Street Popps) and Elder Calderoni (From Brazil) Both of them are English speaking missionaries though.

I bought a CD player at Wal-mart today, now I just need some CD's. So Elder Guinto said that we just have to listen to hymns and they can't be like super upbeat, so I don't know if it's only MoTab or if it can be other bands that sing church music. If you could maybe check out CDs from these two bands that would be great cause I've heard some of there songs here and I like them. (Eclipse, and Voicemail).

Some of my roommates know how to cook, or I'll eat cereal or PB and J. We have also gotten a couple good meals from members. I'm probably not eating as much as I should, but we're living on a budget now so I'll just have to learn to eat less.

Anyway I guess I'll just cap off my week as I read through my journal.

Well we made it through Halloween and I'm pretty happy it's over. We had to be in pretty early those night but it was nice to get back on a normal schedule.



11/1 - We went to this apartment place called the Resurrection and as we were waiting outside the security guard came down and let us in. His name was Oscar from Puerto Rico but he also speaks English. We started talking to him, and then Elder Yates taught him the first lesson and gave him a Spanish Book of Mormon. It seemed to be a really great 1st lesson, but he wanted to have a Book of Mormon in English as well. After that we went to Moises's and taught him a lesson about the Spirit & the Liahona.

11/2- We went back to see Oscar and right when we saw him, he was like ,"You have my book" which was a good sign, but he was eating so we weren't able to teach him. Our appointments were falling through but we found this awesome guy named Ovideo who seemed like he could be interested. We also had district meeting and I was able to teach a little bit about seeking personal revelation. In it I talked about how it's not only about prayer, but it's about Asking, Seeking, and Knocking. Or Searching, Pondering, and Praying. So we should seek answers to our questions in life throught reading the scriptures and other general authority talks, and then we should ponder on our questions and the things that we've read, and then pray. All the steps are really important in seeking personal revelation.

11/3- We were having more appointments fall through, but I guess I just gotta start getting used to it. We met w/ Hermano Blanco (Member, Less active) and watched "By Small & Simple Things" which was a pretty great video. Hno Blanco is out of work now and will be able to come to church on Sundays again. We also met w/ Hermana Aranda again and she seems to be doing a little better. During the hours of 5-7 each day we have "finding time" where we are suposed to find new people to teach. So we were out walking and we went to this one house and nobody answered, we kept waiting and then this women walked by. Elder Yates took the opportunity and went down and talked to her. She seemed like she would be interested if we could catch her at a time when she wasn't so busy.

11/4- I've been reading in Alma and reading over the Strippling Warrior chapters, and it's really helpful to read about there different qualities. After studying we did and Apartmentship study and we shared thoughts and did roleplays which I think will help us be better teachers. Elder Guinto made it to his 1 year mark which was exciting too. Later we started planning and organizing our area book. We split our area into 7 different zones, and I think if we can be more organized we can be more successful and effective, cause a lot of time is wasted when we spend it walking to get to each place. We went by Oscars but he didn't answer his phone, so I think we're gonna give him some space for awhile. Later that night we went to a Dinner appointment w/ Hermana Dolores (Member, Relatively Recent Convert). She made us a really delicious meal and we watched The Testaments w/ her. Elder Yates told her that I was Russian and only knew Russian and some Spanish. He did this so that she wouldn't try talking to me in English and would just try talking to me in Spanish. I don't know if she knew I'm an American or not now, I hope she does. Later that night we walked home and I got my first experience with the East Coast Mist. It was like rain, but it was just like super misty outside and getting my face all wet and everything.

11/5- Elder Yates had to go to like a zone meeting so I had the opportunity to do exchanges. I went out with Elder Flake and Elder De La Cruz. First we went to this really cool guy named Carlo house. His room is super small, and we sat on overturned buckets during our lesson. It was a great lesson and we testified about how the Gospel blesses our lives. After that we went to the Diez Family's. This is again where I see the scripture apply that we should take no thought beforehand of what shall we eat. This was the moment I guess I had been training for from eating so much in the MTC. So the meal starts off with her giving us some (Arroz con Leche) or Rice and Milk. It was pretty good, and was a little filling. Next we had some tamale's which were kinda weird but yeah it's food, and so then we're sitting there and out comes this huge plate of food just for me. It had a bunch of rice, beans, 2 eggs (Like the runny kind with the pocket of yoke in the middle) and 3 hotdogs. Then she brought out a huge stack of home made corn tortillas. After a prayer and some work I was able to get it all down. I was super full, but it was actually a really delicious meal. Later we went and taught a lesson to Francesca (Member?) about the Plan of Salvation. It was great to testify about the Plan of Salvation and really how perfect the plan is. We had another lesson w/ Moises and shared our experiences about how we came to know the Book of Mormon is true.





11/6 - We went out and it seemed like our appointments were starting to fall through, but we finally got going and went and taught at Herman Bureaus (Member). After Lunch we taught at the Ramos family's where the Mom is a member but the Father is not. It was a pretty good lesson and they want to have us over for dinner next week. We went and saw Hermana Arranda again, and then we had our last lesson of the day w/ Jonathen (Investigator). We taught him lesson 1, and I was sorta struggling with my Spanish, but it all worked out in the end. He said he would read and pray to know if the book was true. After all our lessons we went to the ward party which was for the "El Dia de Hispanidad"> They had some pretty amazing food there. I mostly stayed at the Honduras Station though. That night was pretty great because we got that extra hour from DST. Gotta love it.

11/7- Today was a good Sunday. We had a good day at church and I was starting to understand people a little bit more. Hmno Blanco came to church today for his first time in a long time which is really great for him. We went and saw hermana Aranda and then went and talked to this guy named Raul. It was a really long lesson, and I guess we'll see if he progresses or not. We went by Jonathan's but unfortunately he wasn't there. I hope we see him again sometime soon and see how his Book of Mormon reading went. Later we went to Hermana Dolores's and she fed us this way good basically Garlic Sirloin with rice and beans. Then we went and taught Moises and talked to him about how through repentance he can be made new and start over. He said that's already happened and things are starting to go the way that they should.

Well family, the time is almost up for this letter. I sure do miss all of you and it's kinda weird being so far away from Utah. But I'm happy to be here and I'm learning a lot. I'm able to do some great studying and really strengthen my testimony. I'm still having a hard time with Spanish but I'm learning, and I think I will continue learning more as I hear natives talk. I just have to be diligent about studying it and one day it will come. I guess I just sometimes get impatient with learning it.

I'm glad to hear you're all doing well. This month of Thanksgiving I am going to try being grateful for everything and really just loving everything that comes my way.

If you got any other cool stories or good mission tips for me, I would love to hear them.

Well, I guess I'll just end by saying that the Gospel is True and it all makes sense. It can bring us so much happiness in this life, and we can learn our greatest lessons from adversities. I know Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to make the right decisions to enable us to be happy here, and enable us to live with him again one day. I know that the Savior knows all that we are going through, and we can receive comfort in all our afflictions. I know that the power of the Atonement is real and that it's never too late. Just as Alma the Younger was one of the most wicked people, he became a prophet and a great missionary. I know that we can receive so many blessings by being obedient, and we can be so much happier in this life if we keep the commandments. Just as President Monson said I think, "It's easier to be obedient 100 percent of the time than 99%." I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

Love all of you!!!
Love, Elder Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment