Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Feliz dia de independencia!


Ok, so sorry this might be another short letter. I guess a quick update.


President and Sister Bahr have left the mission and President and Sister Jeppson just came in on Thursday. We haven't met them yet, but tomorrow we have a zone conference to meet them which is pretty exciting. Who knows what changes that will bring, so I guess we'll have to wait until next week. This is the last week of the transfer, and potentially my last week here in Union City, but who knows, I could stay here for one more, than I will have been in Union City for 7 and a half months. It's a good area though, and I think there is still a ton of potential here.

Hmmm.... More information about the temple. I mean it was good, like really good. I wish we could go to the temple more often. It feels kinda cool walking in New York City in a suit and tie. The temple in Manhattan is really nice though, and maybe one day in a few years we can go as a family to the Manhattan Temple.

So last night was also another really cool experience probably a once in a life time. We got to watch the Macy's firework show on the Hudson river, with New York City in the background. I was saying that the cool thing was, that we get to see the show and New York City, while those in New York get to see the show, but are just looking at New Jersey. It was awesome to see all the camera flashes on the other side of the Hudson in the buildings and stuff of people taking pictures. I took a few pictures although it doesn't quite capture the whole experience.


Things are going pretty well here in the Area. We have found some pretty good investigators. Last week after the temple trip, we went to a members house, and ended up teaching their nephew Alex. He's a really cool guy. We taught him in English, and his aunt helped us teach him as well. We invited him to read the restoration pamphlet, pray, and come to church. He did all three of those things, and hopefully when we see him tomorrow, we can set a baptismal date with him.

On another note. This week we dropped by to see the family of Paul, one of our old investigators. And guess who happened to be there? Paul!! He came back for just a little bit, and we are hopefully going to teach him this thursday. I don't know how long he will stay before he heads back to chicago, but we are also going to try and start teaching his family.

We are still trying to work with Hector's mom Wendy, and she didn't end up coming to church like she said she was going to, but hopefully we can go and set a date with her today and help her progress. Today I am on an exchange with Elder Christopher who was just barely the assistant to the president, which is pretty exciting. Hopefully I can learn a lot from him, although he is expecting me to teach him. But I'm sure we will both learn a lot from each other.

Felix is still progressing kindof. He has a lot of questions that hit points of the gospel, but he's just struggling to believe that there is only one true church. We taught him the plan of salvation, and he was telling us during the lesson that those were things he didn't know before. Finally he came to the conclusion that he needed to really pray, which is basically what we've been asking him to do for awhile, but I guess now he has a greater desire, it should hope for better results.

On Thursday of last week, we were able to finish moving out of the house completely, and got to give one of our fridges to Ruth. She has been living without a fridge ever since I have been here, just because I don't think she had the funds to pay for it, but one of our members with a truck came to help, and we took it over to her house. Her and her kids seemed really happy and excited about it.

We went to the court last week, and it turned out that we had needed to call in for a court date. So we set a court date for the 13th of July, and there is a definite possibility that I'm not going to be here for that, but I guess we will see.

It is getting pretty hot now a days, and I guess a few more short sleeves wouldn't hurt, especially cause my shirts are starting to get worn out. Things for my birthday... Not too sure. Maybe some b-ball shorts that are a little longer. Caleb would probably know the best which ones. Probably the Jordan Brand. The shorts I have are still good, just a little on the shorter side. Other birthday things, I'm not sure. I already have way to much stuff, like 2 suitcases and 2 crates full of stuff, so I should probably start sending stuff I don't need home, give it away or throw it out.

It's good to hear you are all doing well, and Caleb and Becca should be having a baby pretty soon right? That's super cool. I hope all goes well with that.

Well I'm gonna put some picture up from last night. Thanks again for everything!!

Love you all soooo Much!!!!!

Love,
Elder Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment