Friday, June 22, 2012

Who turned on the Oven?


(Letter May 29)

Did you know it's illegal to Honk in New York?

Wowser, New Jersey is heating up like crazy. This morning we went running, and it was like I was drowning in humidity. I couldn't really even tell if I was breathing or not. It turns out I was, otherwise I probably wouldn't be writing this letter. This week has been full of some of the greatest experiences of my mission, and hopefully I can provide enough detail to make it interesting.
    
First off, Felipe is doing awesome. We have finished teaching him all the lessons, and he has his interview on Friday, with his baptism planned for Sunday. It's definitely a quick baptism of only 3 weeks, but he seems willing and ready to do what it takes to be a member of the church. He's keeping his committments and doing a lot of things that some investigators take months to do. We are super excited for him, and his baptism this week should be fantastic! What's even better is that we have been able to teach him in the homes of members which has helped him get to know more people and to make some friends in the branch. I just worry, because most of the support comes from the women as we don't have to many men in the branch, but our Recent- Convert Henry has done a great job of supporting and fellowshipping him while he's at church. We pray all goes well for Sunday.
   
On Sunday Henry received the Aaronic Priesthood, and was ordained to the office of a Priest. He seems to be progressing quite nicely. I can't remember if I included this on the last letter I wrote, but about 2 weeks ago we went and saw Henry, and began discussing the topic of Tithing and how it brings forth the blessings. Henry re-committed himself to pay tithing, and that's what he did. A few days later he got a new job working in a hotel... Tithing Miracle!
   
Our zone conferece with Elder Kevin R. Duncan was an amazing experience as well. He talked a lot about how we can accomplish our goals, and do anything we put our mind do. He talked about the perfect teaching senario, and how we should invite members out with us to knock on their neighbors doors. Interesting concept. He really focused on how we should be looking for families, and that our Baptismal Goal for the month should never be just 1, because then we are just shooting to baptize one person, instead of a family. We get what we focus on, and if we want a family, we must focus on getting a family. 

Sadly that's one goal I haven't been able to acheive yet. The Baptism of a family would be an amazing opportunity, and that will be my focus for the next 3 months. I got to put this new emphasis into practice last week when we went and saw our investigator Antonieta. We went in, and Antioneta's husband was sitting on the couch and we headed to the kitchen for our lesson. During the opening prayer I had the impression or thought to invite Juan (the husband) to come in and listen. I've been sort of flakey about inviting the rest of the household to come in and listen during my mission, but this time I figured I would just ask. When he came in, he put up his Catholic wall of "We've always been Catholics, everybody in our family is catholic, and we stick to our traditions." We continued onward reading the intro to the Book of Mormon, and Juan really opened up to us. He talked about how he has problems with Alcohol, and he wants to quit as he see's the negative effects it has on his family. We stated that a daily supplement of Book of Mormon reading, and prayer would help to quit all that and live a better life. We came to the close of the lesson, and invited Juan to offer a kneeling closing prayer. He was a little hesitant at first because he was unsure how to pray, but we quickly taught him, and he agreed to it. As he started his reverant prayer, he began to cry. I think he could really feel the spirit, and this was a big moment for him to be praying to his Heavenly Father. It was an amazing experience.
  
We also have been working with another awesome Investigator named Ayda from Ecuador. We taught her about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and invited her to be baptized. She couldn't say yes to a date because she's already been baptized, and we still haven't explained the restoration, but she's an awesome lady, and did her reading in Alma 32. She explained so clearly about how the chapter describes that faith is like a little seed. She has 3 sons between the ages of 18 and 21 that hopefully we can start teaching this week. Future Missionaries!
   
On Friday night we headed to Morristown to exchange Elder Jellen for Elder Ferrel. Elder Ferrel and I headed up to West New York that night to sleep up there before we were to head to the temple with our Recent-Converts. It was so amazing being able to see Fausta again. It's been so long since I've seen her, and she seemed so much happier. The spanish session went well, It was a tiny bit harder to understand, but all worked out in the end. I enjoyed the trip, especially seeing the temple workers that were members from previous units I have worked in. It was like a great big reunion of the people I've come to love on my mission. 

 The Bus ride (Me, Elder Ferrel, and Elder Harrington)


Fausta
Fausta, and Hermano Lucio, the one that baptized her.

As we were sitting in the celestial room at the temple, I went over to Fausta and asked her how she felt. She looked to be on the verge of tears, and expressed how much peace she felt. It was a heart-warming moment. That moment was another testimony to me of what missionary work is all about. And another cool part about the temple trip, was that we got to go to a sealing right after of a couple, and then the sealing of their kids to them. It was amazing, and a wonderful feeling of the spirit was present. 




Hanz (the investigator I taught in Union City and Passaic before he got baptized in West New York) also went on the temple trip to do Baptisms. It was so great to see him again, and see that he is actively participating in the Gospel. Right now he is the ward Pianist, and just a funny for the day, the Elders told me that he was playing prelude music the other day before sacrament meeting that sounded like Pirate music. They had to go up and tell him to only play hymns, but I thought it was pretty funny.
So that's the jest of my week. I hope you all had a good memorial day, as I'm sure it was a little heart clenching. Just remember... He does live, and because He lives, we all shall live again. I'm so grateful for the gospel, and the sealing powers of Heaven that allow us to be able to live as a family for eternity. I love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment